Our last Competitions for our Aspire gymnasts are taking place over the next two weeks and will see our Level 1 through to Excel Diamond athletes perform at our Kedron venue. While our gymnasts have been busy preparing in the gym, here are some handy hints for gymnasts and parents at home to help prepare! Competitions can be nerve wracking for even the most seasoned competitors (and their parents too), so we thought some tips and hints for a smooth competition day might be helpful!
Our Top Tips!
1. Be Up Early and have a great breaky!
2. Pack your gym back the night before.
Do you have: Guards; Competition leotard (for senior gymnasts who warm up in the Club podium leotard) & full Club uniform; plain white socks; strapping tape, spare hair bands and hairspray; water bottle and Aspire T-Shirt.
3. Leave enough time to do your hair (and if this is your first competition, have a practice a couple of days earlier and train with competition hair to get used to it).
Competition Hair: Hair is to be placed in a small bun on the crown of the head. The bun should be slightly visible from front on (see below photo) and held in place with a scrunchie (the colour of your leotard or plain white). Please ensure all hair is pulled back off the gymnasts face and held in place with hairspray / gel and bobby pins if necessary. Please feel free to speak to your child’s coach if you have any questions. If the hair is too short, a neat high ponytail will be great.
4. Get coffee
Parents need to ensure they are calm too!
5. Hug your gymnast, tell them you love them, you’re proud of them and to do their best!
Check out this great blog on words of encouragement for our kids: https://deltagym.com.au/6-words-of-encouragement-to-best-support-children-in-sport/
6. Leave plenty of time to get to the venue and consider parking
Aim to arrive atleast 15mins before your session’s warm up begins.
7. Have fun!!!